Wednesday 28 August 2013

July 5
Today we began with an orientation of the University. The international studies building has a beautiful tiled courtyard with golden Adinkra symbols on all of the railings. These symbols have special meanings and significance to Ghanaians. I recognized several of them from the reading about Storytelling.
One thing I am finding difficult is the fear of interacting with strangers. I am already afraid that i might have picked up a “professional friend.” Canadian women get a lot of warnings to be careful of foreign men and the sense of stranger danger has really stuck with me. I worry about how gender roles will restrict my field work. How will I be able to interview people if I am afraid to trust anyone?
On the walk back, we observe that here in the University it really doesn’t feel like the third world. The people are well dressed, the cars of mostly new and often expensive, and the architecture is beautiful and well kept. Even our hostel is comfortable and clean and not lacking in any amenities. But in Ghana, school costs tuition from grade 7 up, so those that make it to University are the richest portion of the population. As such, the campus is not an accurate sampling of Ghana.


No comments:

Post a Comment