Saturday 24 August 2013

July 15
Today I decided to get some field work done, so I went to the market to interview the young girl who sells fruit there. Her name is Tcwoitsie and she is 16 years old. She tells me that she went to school, but now she is finished, so she is working in her family’s fruit stand. I cannot help but wonder what the future holds for her and how she feels about it, but I didn’t feel comfortable asking her that. She also told me that her mother just gave birth to a baby boy, and I gave her a few cedis as a gift for the new baby. I had thought she had invited me to see the new baby, but I think I misunderstood because when I went back she didn’t seem eager to take me anywhere. I realize now the importance of language in an interview setting. There is so much more I would have liked to ask her about her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment