Wednesday 28 August 2013

July 11
                Language class today focused on phrases rather than phonetics. I have been frustrated with Ewe class so far because we have been focusing completely on the linguistic side of things. Language is learned by doing, not by studying, and while I see the benefit of pronunciation and the interaction between sounds, I find linguistics extremely dull and I don’t retain much. But today was useful phrases and I was much more engaged. I am still very aware of the difference between replicating and committing to memory and I wonder how much of this we will retain when we get to the Volta region
                The lecture on Highlife with Dr. John Collins was quite fascinating. He seems like such a captivating person. I wish I could just sit down for a beer with him. He has so many stories and he truly lives within highlife music.
                Before Drumming class, Nathan took me to the pharmacy to get me something for my cough, which has been getting progressively worse since we left Canada. As we were waiting to speak to the pharmacist, the cashier, a very tall black girl, walk right up to me with an aggressive look on her face and said. “Hey! Obruni! Asang” And she kept repeating it forcefully, each time making me more and more uncomfortable because I didn’t understand her and she seemed angry. The she said “Iya” When I timidly repeated she cracked a big smile, shook my hand and introduced herself as Annabel. And that’s how I learned how to say “How are you” and “I’m fine” in Twi.

                Tonight was Beth’s birthday, so we went out to Osu with Brown and Kofi, the young men who have been our teachers. We had dinner an sat on a bar patio where they serenaded the birthday girl. Brown got us all playing a drinking game that involved playing and speaking in rhythm. Even the drinking games have percussion here! I won two out of the three rounds I played.

No comments:

Post a Comment