Wednesday 28 August 2013

July 4
Today was spent climbing in and out of vehicles. Undoubtedly a great way to see the city, but not the most leisurely activity. We started the day in the market, where we bought fruit from a young girl who giggled at me when i tried to say “Medasi” to her. then we bought water from an older woman named Mary. Mary is a clever businesswoman who takes advantage of her proximity to the University international hostel by getting to know all the international students by name. As a result, whenever any of us need water or other mundane items, we all go to Mary.
So far, I feel very safe here. People are polite and friendly, but not pushy like in South Africa, or full on intrusive like in Cuba. I don’t feel so much like a walking bag of money here. The one exception is  the kissing noise that men and boys sometime make at me. A man grabbed my elbow today as I walked down a crowded street. I shrugged him off hard and shot him what Joe described after as a look of death. In Canada, it is very rude, even an assult, for a strange man to touch a woman in any way, and so my reaction once again showed my Canadian-ness. It was reflexive, and i didn’t know how else to react.
We decided to go to Osu for lunch and chose a “chop shop” just off the main road. Here my Canadian-ness really showed as I waited quietly and politely to be served, and by the time i got the server’s attention she yelled at me. My friends’ orders had already been processed and why was i just standing there? So rather than fight her, I just didn’t eat.
In the evening, we went to a film screening and concert. The first band was called “ This House is Not For Sale” who describe themselves as ‘highlife fusion.’ A trumpet, bari saxophone, drums bass and acoustic guitar/singer. The music was upbeat and lively with distinctive pop and jazz influences, but also with a strong African flavour provided by the lead singer and guitar.

The second group was lead by Koo Nimo, who I have read is Ghana’s most famous and influential folk singer. The band was made up of almost all traditional instruments and was very recognizably African in it’s style. It was a great example of classic palm wine guitar, using traditional instruments and rhythms, and original lyrics by Koo Nimo.

No comments:

Post a Comment